Thursday, September 21, 2017

British Thermal Units !

BTU's are at the source of the training I received for many years. I worked on Natural and Propane gas burners, Electric heaters, air and water. Air conditioners and heat pumps are sized by BTU's.

Now that I am retired, I hope to put some of my experiences here so others will learn from my mistakes, not make the same ones I did. I am BI-POLAR, my mind races a mile a minute. That helped  me in my job as a TROUBLE SHOOTER! The places I worked, when the equipment owned by that business broke, it was my job to get it running again!! One job I had for 8 years I was transported by the boss's airplane to  fix his equipment where ever it was.  I learned a lot over the years.

BTU's are heat measured doing work. Just like a gas or diesel engine, the more BTU's created, the more work you receive from the engine. Like the movie, JAWS, the shark expert talks about the shark being an engine. The shark eats, swims, and scare the crap out of us when we meet them in the water.
The engine in your vehicle burns the fuel, creates heat, and pushes the piston to propel the vehicle where it goes. Hopefully with nothing in front of it!

When you put gas in your tank it is 10% some form of alcohol, hopefully locally grown near the plant that makes it. That means when the air fuel mix is ignited in the cylinder you lose some power to push the piston and make horsepower. For my lawn tractor I am burning 100% gas, no alcohol. Any of the older gas engines not set up for alcohol, it harms the carburetor. I had to replace mine. If you have a performance engine, the carburetors will give you trouble after using 10% alcohol. Not just aluminum parts in the carburetor receive wear, you get less BTU's of heat, which means less Horse Power! Sure the gas is more expensive, but so is putting new Carbs. on your engine.

Your newer car runs OK on the 10% fuel. My Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 2002 motorcycle runs great on 10% fuel. At 1500 CC (cubic centimeters) I have enough horsepower to get into trouble. The little I lose I can do without. If you have an airport close, you can get airplane fuel. It is made better that regular gas. You do not want the motor quitting at 10,000 FEET!! Some weekend racers get airplane fuel in their race car. The pure race gas is very expensive. When I was racing the race gas was over $4.00 a gallon. Regular gas was about 45 cents a gallon.

The additive we used to put in the tank years ago was alcohol. When put in over winter, alcohol help carry the water droplets that got in the fuel line so that small droplet would not freeze and shut off the fuel to the engine. You had to tow the vehicle, and put in a heated garage overnight, or wait for warm weather to thaw your gas tubing. Now we get the alcohol added automatically!
Later I will spout off about salt ruining bridges and anything concrete.

Who is this OLD GUY!! 0 thats me!




Lots of BTU's, a V8 chevy engine. Mary said if I get one of these I must  get more life insurance. She knows how I am!!

COME ON! Buddy, try that on me. I am 69, partially crippled, but I can handle a women beater anytime!!


A Gorgeous Lady Biker. Yes, Mary knows I call every LADY gorgeous. Us men work a full time job for our families. You GORGEOUS ladies work at least 4 FULL time jobs.

I meet Dave at the Udder Choice- Ephrata, PA every other week for breakfast. An older lady came in while I was returning from draining my coffee. The wait staff all know how I am. She walked with two canes, some hair was missing, and she was slumped over. I tapped her on the shoulder and said good morning GORGEOUS!

About 15 minutes later Linda topped my off coffee, and said, be careful who you call GORGEOUS, it's 15 minutes later and she is still smiling so much we are afraid her cheeks will crack!!  LOL  You can see Linda if you go back a couple hundred posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment