Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 14 2014, yesterday friday the thirteenth was lucky for Mary!

Mary had her MRI on her neck. In about four weeks she gets hooked up to the computer that will check her nerves and hopefully we will find out which nerve is pinched and causing her terrible pain. She had to lie still for almost an hour. I never had that trouble, every time I was in an MRI I was unconscious and laid still with no trouble.

The insurance denied her pain medicine. It is $1,200 every 30 days for the pills. Wish I could take her pain for me. It's hard when a loved one suffers and you can do nothing to help ease the pain. I had the same feeling when our kids were younger and in pain. She still has pain in the right heel. We are wearing out. We both did hard physical work, and it shows.

For 35 years Mary took care of old folks, lifting them in and out of bed. Hard on the back and shoulders. And since my cycle accident in 2002 I had my left shoulder replaced with titanium, and now my left knee is racked with pain. Hope to hold out till next summer to replace the knee, because I must be in shape to tackle suicide driveway this winter so Mary can get out if she can still work. Like Mic Jagger sings "IT's a drag getting old" but since we have no alternative I guess we just have to learn to live with what we have!

Old age, I'm not telling you it is going to be easy; I'm telling you it is going to be worth it. And when I interact with my three, so far, grandchildren it is sure worth it. Mary put some of Kyler's toys up in the attic, he outgrew them, she said must keep for new grandbabies coming. Our two boys have yet to start their families.

I went to the LCBC church rod and cycle show with Bruce today. He still can't drive from his stroke. I ran into a good friend I had not seen in almost 50 years, He had the American gas station on route 501 in Lancaster across from the Stock Yard Inn. I worked there part time. I always had a part time job at a gas station to use the lift and garage to work on my car.

Davey has a 1948 Studebaker pick up. It is beautiful, cost him probably over 100 thousand dollars total. I really liked his truck, and he told me he just retired at 69 years old and travels the states showing off his truck. He was married twice, but only one daughter. I thought what a great life he must lead, traveling all over and getting paid to show his truck.

But then I came home, and listened to the kids fighting and not wanting me to take them home just yet. I looked at my three grandchildren and thought how much Davey is missing what I have in my big family. I would not trade him his life for mine for any amount of money or fame. Family means too much to me, even when the three of them are fighting.

Mary and I have a fabulous life. I would change a few things if I could do it over. But latching onto Mary, and having three great kids, and three (so far) wonderful grand children I would not change for anything in the world! Yes for us, yesterday, Friday the thirteenth was a lucky day. All of us made it through the day, and are still breathing.

Tomorrow I am taking Bruce to the Lawn Fire Company to ogle over about 500 bikes again. It keeps Bruce in good spirits to forget his troubles. And of course it does me a lot of good too! Stop back and see the hot rods and bikes from today, and the bikes from tomorrow's meet.
Thank You, Randy "Hoss" Caldwell

No comments:

Post a Comment