Sunday, November 11, 2018

Drive Carefully!

I mentioned before I am bi-polar, my mind going a mile a second. I don't know if that helps me to keep my eyes scanning both sides of the highway and straight ahead or not. There were a lot of children hurt and I believe five killed within 1 month. The flashing lights of a school bus should jolt any oncoming vehicle to stop. I also warned my kids to not stand on the edge of the road so they could be the first in line for the bus. One morning when it was really foggy I saw a lot of kids standing right up to the road line, any vehicle just over too far to the right would hit them. I guess parents do not think of that and warn their children. 
  
I worry a lot, my mom did too. She must have been bi-polar too. When I raced bikes and cars being bi-polar was a great help. When the light turned green I was always ahead of the racer beside me. You see a lot of people, phone to ear driving. I have noticed a lot of tractor- trailer drivers holding a phone to their ear. 90,000 pounds of terror traveling without two eyes on what's ahead. I think that is why we  were rear-ended by a loaded tractor-trailer, and pushed the back of our Toyota Sienna in 24 inches. Had the grandchildren been in the back seats they would not have survived. He had a high front bumper, hit us above our rear bumper, on the sheet metal. That should be illegal, his bumper should be low enough for all car & van bumpers.

Including myself, I never use phone or text while driving we must change our attitude what is important. NOT the call or text, changing the radio station, that is what killed Motorcycle Dave's brother Danny, or turning your head and yelling at the kids. For us guys, not eyeballing the hot looking girl, either walking or riding in the car beside us. When I was young I had two accidents because of not paying attention to what was ahead of me, from age 16 to 18. Yes I have learned my lessons, and it cost me a lot of money.

My granddaughter is going for her drivers test the end on November 2018. She will be 19 in January. I think it is good the kids wait to get their drivers license. Another granddaughter will be sixteen, one year away. Today the driving tests are tougher than 50 years ago. The kids waiting 2 years have better grown-up attitudes. I am glad my accidents were not serious, no one hurt. I can offer a lot of wisdom now that I am 70. But at 16 or 18, I would not have accepted the wisdom either. At 16 or 18, nothing can happen to us?? I have said that a lot, but it is what the young mind thinks. 

I did not find out I was bi-polar till I was 50 years old. Medicine has helped me a lot. I am on the smallest dose possible. I still have bouts of depression and manic behavior, but now I know why. If you see yourself in my writing, get checked out. Please. Do not suffer 50 years like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment