Friday, November 30, 2018

Jesse

Jesse was a 6'4" body building rugged male. He had a beard, with scruffy hair. He was one of the bad guys in town but he knew me so he left us guys alone. Another song lyric! I would see him walking and take him where he needed to go. I never saw him driving. I guess he had no car or license. I would see him in bars, and he always yelled, "Hi, Hoss!" Being under drinking age having a regular greet you, any place would let me drink, and remember me any time I went in.

I picked him up two or three times a week. He never went out of town, at least not with me. One very hot Saturday night I went to the sub shop on Prince & Liberty Street for supper at 11 PM. Liberty Street was one way then. My passenger side door was on the curb side. The top was up, and the A/C on.

I heard Jesse yell, "HOSS" really loud. I saw him in my passenger side mirror. He was limping with his right leg, not bending at the knee. He jumped in, not bending his knee. He pulled a double shotgun out of his pants leg. Now his knee would bend. He said he was in a fight, and might have shot someone, it was too dark to see if he hit them.

I could see myself in prison for being the getaway driver. I liked Jesse as a friend I could give rides to. I drove out of town, and dropped him at a friend's house. As he got out, he said, "Hoss, I will never forget you were there when I needed you most".

I was afraid to be in town for about four days. That was the longest time I did not appear on the loop. I never saw Jesse after that. The next day I checked the paper and TV news. There was no mention of gun shots, or someone hit by gunfire. I also was waiting for the police to be at my door with hand cuffs. For 50 years I have wondered if Jesse was really in a fight, or just scared someone (besides me).

No comments:

Post a Comment