Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Jesus Christ Superstar

I grew up attending St. Andrew's United Church of Christ, Lime and New streets in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Mom saw us kids got there every Sunday. This is where I met another Randy. Later he lived across the street from Lancaster County's Dead Man's Curve.

We attended dances and white elephant sales, though there were no animals there. We had father and son suppers. My dad worked at night, but a kind gentleman was dad to about 8 of us that were alone. He owned a construction company, and his name was Miles Ament, I believe.

I heard the Bible stories, I knew them by heart. I learned the 23rd Psalm by heart. It was Grandma's Hess's favorite. I even recited it in Sunday school adult class upstairs. In my early teens I helped my older brother Richard on the audio visual crew. When he was drafted in 1959, I took it over. I started the sound systems, checked mikes, and set up equipment where needed every Sunday. Later when I was 16, I set up a projector at a big hotel near our house. I had to leave, it was about kids on drugs, adults only. Someone else brought the equipment back to Church.

Mary and I married on May 20, 1972. In 1973 Jesus Christ Superstar came out. When I saw it, this movie changed my life. I knew what took place the last three days of Jesus Christ's life, but it did not burn in my soul till I saw the movie. Hearing a teacher read the story, even reading it yourself, is nothing like seeing what took place, and seeing it on the big screen.

Mary and I were married, ready to raise kids, being a family, and seeing what  Jesus Christ suffered through to save us, it really sank in. The local radio station played the whole album a lot. There was a call in hour on WGAL 1390 AM, that was a way to sound off about what you want. It played a lot of local rock and roll. One night everyone that called in was raving about J.C.Superstar. About half way through the hour show, a gentleman called in with a Dutchified accent. Meaning he was Mennonite, or Amish. He said it is blasphemy, Jesus was not a Superstar, someone in sweaty socks, he was Lord!!

I was always told GOD sent Jesus to earth to learn what being a human being was like. My Jesus would sweat, get dirty, have pains and sore muscles when he overworked them. If he fell he would feel pain, he would feel hunger, go to the toilet like everyone else. He was a male human being. When they whipped him, he felt pain. When two of the twelve betrayed him, he felt loss. But unlike everyone else he knew what he must do.

I ask GOD and Jesus Christ for guidance every day. That night so many kids like me called in with the same feelings I had, they had to answer calls for an extra hour that night.

Thankfully Lloyd found his way to Jesus Christ before he died. It was GOD leading him. He lived a good Christian life. His reward for the life he lived was joining St. Andrew's church. He was saved. His good works were noticed by GOD and his Son.

I am 70, my time is I hope not too soon to leave. I have a lot more work to do with Lloyd. I have made mistakes in my life. I have helped a lot of people. My work at  Oasis Youth Services Charity and lloydsrides.org my own Charity now. I, like Marcy, do not seek that pat on the back.

I have a lot of titanium and stainless steel holding me together. I was an electrical contractor, got thousands of shocks. Spent a large part of my life up ladders, walking across 10 inch wide cement block walls. Taking chances.

When I started in 1966, there were no laws about harnesses to keep us from falling. Now my son-in-law Rich a construction painter, when he goes over six foot high in a cherry picker he must hook his harness to the basket. I worry about Rich, our daughter Laura, their 3 kids if Rich gets hurt and cannot work. I am glad I have a GREAT FRIEND from above to talk to. After all HE watched over me for 70 plus years! You have time to change your life, do it! NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment