Thursday, September 20, 2018

Bi-Polar Biker

Yes, I am Bi-Polar, I discovered I was after my surprise 50th birthday party. Yes, Mary got me good. I had no inkling she planned my party. People kept appearing, I was happily surprised! Mary is terrific at keeping a secret, I am not. After I picked my lower jaw off the floor and put it back on my face we had a really great day.

After everyone left, I went on my computer to unwind. I love hearse's, I always wanted to get one. No I am not fascinated by death. Just like the looks of a death coach. I look at hearse cars a lot. I was looking at death coach clubs. When up popped a site that asked, are you fascinated with Death. I answered no, I just like the vehicles. It said, take this questionnaire. I did. When finished it said you are Bi-Polar, see a professional for diagnosis. I talked it over with Mary. She made an appointment for me.

The shrink said after tests, yes I am. He gave me pills. The horror started. I saw him every 2 weeks. Some pills did nothing. Some made me so sleepy I could hardly stay awake even at work. Finally after several times he found the right mixture that started to help my moods. He said Bi-Polar means you swing from very great highs to terrible lows! Most people swing from high to low every couple minutes. I swing from second to second. I am checked about every 6 to ten years now. If Mary feels my medicine is working I stay at this level. In twenty years I am on my second batch of pills. So far so good.

When high I can do anything, I am smarter than anyone. When low, I am nothing, everyone is better than I am! When I'm down is when thoughts of suicide happened in me. I grew up a risk taker. I am an adrenaline junkie. The dose of adrenaline makes me higher that anything else I tried. Booze, caffeine, pain pills or diet pills I got from Doctors. The diet pills made sleep unnecessary, I could stay awake 3 or 4 24 hour periods. The Doc would not give me any more pills when I used 3 months worth in 4 weeks.

Working all day, working on the race bike, and race car was great when I did not waste time sleeping. Bob my mechanic spent a lot of nights by my side too. He was putting the bike transmission together one morning about 3 AM, he was so tired he forgot to put the needle bearings in third gear. When I raced the next day, when I hit third gear about 60 MPH the trans locked up and threw me off.

He & his wife stop in every summer, he mentions it and we both laugh. Luckily we got over that terrible time. Bob worked at the local cycle shop. The head mechanic raced too. Bob picked his brain about how to get more horsepower. Then he would put the improvements in my bike. A Barnett racing clutch, washers in the screws holding the pressure plate against the clutch disk, less slippage. Changing the activate clips on the needle valves richer. More Fuel=More Horsepower!

I was getting about 20% more power. About 80% less clutch slippage. We adjusted the valves every 500 miles, and change the oil every 500 miles too. No filter, keeps oil clean, no deposits of gunk. Castrol oil, better lubrication, better performance.

I weighed 200 pounds, Kathy rode with me a lot. I raced with her on back, outside town. Other bikes the same size engine, single rider, we would pull away from them. At the bike shop the manager Lyle asked, "How is your bike so fast?"

I learned to keep secrets! I kept winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment