Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Poisoning Sophie!

Yes, I did that to the second love of my life. Mary got me Sophie in July. She was 10 months old when we got her. Mary put a bow on Sophie, with a note that read, For Bunny, a young female to sleep with! Yes, after 45 years, Mary absorbed my weird sense of humor.

When we first got married, Mary was delivering babies at the hospital. The older Nurses with no small children worked so the mothers with young children could be home to open the presents from Santa. Once our kids were in their teens it was Mary's turn to work. For 46 years she worked every other weekend.

Every morning I take the medicines that have kept me alive. Both sides of my families have a lot of bad things passed onto us. High blood pressure, hardening of the arteries and colon cancer, just to name a few. I think that is why I married a nurse, I did not do a good job of taking care of my health, I needed a good woman to keep me in line. Yes, Mary is really good at keeping me healthy; and in line!!

Mary gets home about 6 am. I got up at 5 am when Mary worked nights. I wanted to be sure she got home safe. There are several hills in the 4 mile drive home, and their are no guardrails. If someone slides off the road from ice, the vehicle will roll. Yes, I am an OLD Knight in RUSTY Armor.

Sophie got used to going out at 5 am every morning, whether Mary was working or not. When Sophie heard the garage door going up, she would go nuts. She still does, to this day. She knows MOM is home. She waits at the door to the garage till I get there and open it. She shoots down the 5 steps, and around to Mary's open door for her head rub, now knowing Mom is home safe.

So, it's Christmas morning. Mary and Sophie come in the kitchen. I am having coffee, and something for breakfast. I grab my pillbox, with day and AM or PM stamped on the flap. Just what us old fogies need. I pour the pills into my right hand and get ready to pop them in my mouth. Well, when the kids were little, she had me put my pills in my mouth one at a time. When our youngest child was in high school, I started popping the whole amount at once.

This time, guess what? Three pills missed my open mouth and I heard them hit the wood floor. Sophie was right there and scooped them up. The others went down my throat, so we had no way of knowing what Sophie had ingested. Was I killing my best friend? (Best friend after Mary, of course.)

I panicked, told Mary I would call the animal hospital near the train station. I got on the computer quickly, got the number and punched it in. Mary said, "Settle down, even if she got your blood pressure or Bi-Polar pills, it takes time for them to dissolve".

The hospital answered, I told them how  I stupidly took my pills. I told her what the pills were. She paused, saw the Doctor, he said give her 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, spread some newspaper for her to vomit on so you can see what went down.

I put Sophie on the enclosed porch on newspapers. I held her mouth open and Mary poured the hydrogen peroxide down her throat. About 30 seconds later she started to heave. She threw up twice, bringing up her complete bowl of dog food that she'd had about 10 minutes before Mom got home.

I called the hospital saying, "Thanks, how much do I owe you?" She said no charge, and the Doc said to tell you hydrogen peroxide is OK for making young kids vomit, too. Then she asked if I found the pills. I said no, because she had a bowl full of dog food in her belly, I did not feel like running my fingers through it.

YES, now I put one pill in my mouth at a time again. Mary said take your pills over the sink and put  the stopper in, then you will find ones that miss your BIG mouth! I still find it hard to believe Mary was quiet and shy before she met me. Couldn't be that she changed because of ME????

Christmas morning was Happy after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment