Sunday, September 9, 2018

They Torture our Puppies.

I told Mary I wanted a dog to be my service dog so we can visit the Lebanon VA Hospital for my new charity. Our son Jeff has a Beagle, JuneBug. I said I wanted a female Beagle. I heard females listened better than the male dogs. Like humans, female animals cause less trouble? RIGHT??

Mary told Kyra our first grandchild. She scanned several sites for rescue digs. Kyra gave Mary the dog's info and phone number. $150.00 for 8 month old boarder collie-beagle. Mary arranged a pickup, they lived about 150 miles away. Then told me.

We met them half way, and left that coming saturday. We got a cage, one months worth of food, and pest treatments, stainless dog dish, and her favorite blanket in the cage with removable water tight bottom. We made the spot they said, found them, they had a 1 year old and 3 year old boys. Just said they cannot keep the dog. The little guys hugged their dog goodbye.

We left. I said in blog before I wanted to name my dog Bossie after dog I grew up with. Mary said it will confuse the dog. Keep her name, getting used to new home hard enough. Now Sophie was ours. We would stop at burger joint to get lunch. About 1 miles from trade off spot, Sophie started crying. Mary said stop, and got in middle seat, Sophie in cage where 3rd seats folded down. Mary put her hand on the cage.Sophie stopped crying.

Mary grew up on farm, used to animals. We made it home. I took Sophie out on leash to relieve herself. She was fixed, and all shots done. Mary said how about getting underground fence. I called, most a little over $1,000.

We have a half acre yard. Joe the dog guy said he would stop out. 2 days later he was there. I asked him about dog trainers, he gave me the named of a few. He asked how much training? I said my Charity is to stop PTSD Suicide in Veterans and First Responders. He said he was a Veteran, and gave us a Great big discount. He liked the idea that Sophie would visit the Lebanon VA Hospital.

Mary got me a training book at a yard sale. I tried, not much progress. Mary and I both 70 years young, fixed income. We will get the money for Sophie to be my Service dog YET!

One year later, a friend of Jeff has a friend with a Shitzu dog, cannot keep it. She has 4 kids, and taking her sisters kids, trouble getting help. Gabby asked if we want another dog. Mary said tell them to stop in, we see how they get along. Buddy came for a visit.

He can stand under Sophie and not touch her stomach. We said yes, she gave 2 bags of food, toys, stainless food bowl, and favorite blanket. They stayed about 2 hours. She kept calling him Buddy! When they were walking out the door, Jen says, oh by the way, his name is Buddy Holly! I am a 50's and 60's Rock and Roll guy. Mary a country Gal.

Just like Donnie and Marie. Did you know Marie not her real name. I don't remember what her first name is, but they said it would not sound as good as Donny and Marie. Yes, worthless things I remember. Kids names, birthdays, anything important I get wrong.

When I was single on my sun visor above the dash of my car I fastened a tablet and pencil. When I was on a date I wrote the girls name so I would get it right. My friend's girlfriend gave me the idea. She got me a blind date with her friend, the girl said I kept getting her name wrong.

Now the TORTURE! We live on a cul-de-sac. Five houses. We are at the circle. straight ahead of the road coming in. Everyone spins around the circle to go out, or in. Mary and I are sitting at the breakfast bar, every morning coffee, Mary cereal, me PB&J or Mary makes omlettes. Mary says we have Sophie  24 hours, and she did not make a peep yet. YES 20 seconds later it started, and has not stopped yet. BARK!!BARK!!

After Joe installed the dog fence, we started letting her out the front door. Joe followed the border of our yard, about 2 feet before the line. Sophie was outside the second day of learning how far she can go. The Fed-Ex driver stopped out front at our driveway. Sophie ran over. As he came up our driveway, he reached in his pocket, gave Sophie a dog bone. He always rubbed her head. She was ecstatic.

The recycle truck guys asked why she carries on when they stop. I told them, now they give biscuits too. so do trash guys. Trash guy, long hair, full beard, every day rubs Sophie's head! The UPS guy was next, gave Sophie a biscuit when they deliver to us. Now any sound from out front, Sophie and Buddy Holly go nuts.

We build a Cape Cod house 34 years ago. Low, big windows in front. Sophie can stand and see out the front windows. As you come in the door, Mary has a lazy boy chair right by the door jam, with a 3' by 3' coffee table right at the window. She likes to set at night and read  paperback books. The first night after getting the table, she has a green cover for the table, and a table light on the table for reading at night.

Of course, Buddy Holly uses the table so he can watch with Sophie for the Biscuit Guys! The first night Mary left a stack of paperback books and a candle in a glass jar, on the middle of the table, Buddy Holly's table, how could you do that Mom?? When Mary came down the steps, her books, and candle were on the floor. Now Mary is careful not to let anything but the table light on HIS lookout stand.

The final nail in my coffin to stop both dogs from going nuts every time a noise is out front!! The Fed-EX guy went past our road to the other circle. The hounds were outside going crazy. The driver saw them in the front yard, I waited by the door to let them in. Both dogs we don't leave out long in the cold or hot. This was July, very hot. I watched as the driver came back, turned down out road, something for us? He stopped at our driveway, stood up, threw Sophie a biscuit, then the same for Buddy. Sat down and drove off. One biscuit thrower told me they always throw the female a biscuit first. Her DNA set up to get food for babies. First time they throw, female always fights for food.

Yes, Sophie and Buddy sleep with me on a lazy-boy couch, I can push the button and recline. I cannot sleep unless my shoulders higher than my body. 

I will try to find my pics of our two dog night. In old West, if cold you sleep with one dog. If very cold night, you sleep with two dogs. If really frigid, you sleep, with a Three Dog Night. Yes, that is how the rock group got its name. Yes, I remember everything unimportant!!

1 comment:

  1. Marie Osmond's real name is Olive Marie Osmond. Yes, I think Donnie & Marie sounds a lot bett than Donnie & Olive!

    ReplyDelete