Saturday, October 13, 2018

Bad news one

When I parked at the American gas station, I shut off the motor and went in. Joe was in the garage working on a car. I told Davey second gear was getting noisy when I shifted hard. He said he would check it soon. Must make money for business first.

A couple days later Davey put my Pontiac on the lift and took the four speed tranny out. When he opened it there was a bad sancyoizer, he got one the next day. Back together he took the car out for a trial run. when he came back he was not happy. He said it is better, but still a little noise on a hard shift. It was an aluminum Borg Warner trans. From the heat of shifting at high RPM, the trans wears. With a little wear, the shafts do not line up good. This was one of them!!

We all liked to harass the other guys, all in fun. They left the my Pontiac in the garage when they left. I worked till closing, 9 PM, collected all the credit statements, emptied the cash register, and hid the cash. I turned off the outside lights. I opened the garage door to back out. I turned the car to start the engine; These bums hooked up my carburetor linkage so the 3-2's were running at max RPM at idle. They got me again.

It only took me about 10 minutes to restore the linkage to normal. Before I started working on the linkage, I walked outside and yelled, "You got me good!" in case they were hiding in the parking lot next door.

I took Davey on my motorcycle to pick something at the junkyard. I don't remember what it was, but it had to be small. Davey and Joe got me whatever I needed at cost. Their work was cheaper that the public for us all.

Joe had a Pontiac Bonneville hardtop, blue and a 421 V8. He wanted to try my 3-2's on his engine. I said sure, they did a lot of favors for me. I figured he would not have it long. At $ .38 cents a gallon for gas, I was spending about $150.00 a month. When you have the ability to hit the throttle and be pushed back in the seat, it is hard not to, you think someone is trying to steal your Horse Power, and you must hit the gas pedal and make sure it is there yet.

Joe's four barrel was great for a while. Cut my gas purchases by 2/3 s'. After about 5 days, when I pulled in for work, Joe motioned, pull in. When I got out of my Pontiac, he said we were swapping back. In the 5 days he had my carbs, he filled the tank 2 times. He said I see now what you mean. If it is there you use it.

With a lot of expensive racing hardware there they worried about robbery. Davey bought a German Shepherd puppy. I started training the pup to stay on the gas station and speed shop lot. We had several places to park cars that we were waiting for payment so they can be picked up. We took the front wheel and tires so they can get their car without paying. Put cement under frame. The dog laid under these cars to keep out of the sun.

I walked her up and down the bridge over the railroad tracks, I had her on a leash, and got a police night stick, About 2 weeks on the leash she followed my commands off leash. I kept my cousin's German Shepard too. When I stopped in at my cousin's I had to stop and see the dog first, chained in the carport. The same with Davey's dog. When I pulled in, the dog tore across the lane the gas pumps were in, howling. My magnetic charm! LOL I kept scolding her for running across where the cars were come in.

Joe had his 57 Chevy 2 door painted gorgeous black. When he came in Monday morning the dog was lying on the new painted trunk. I am sure he went ballistic, but the dog was still alive when I got in about 5:00 PM. I kept telling the guys when I am not there to check on the dog, she liked to lie under cars. Tell people when they get their keys, to blow the horn a couple times before pulling out.

When I got in about 5:00 no one ran to greet me. The guys were very somber looking. Not one beer was in sight. I was SCARED!! Davey told me, she laid under a car, the guy backed right over her head. Everyone left. No people wanted to hang around. I stayed because I had to work. It took about 4 weeks till the hurt was getting better. Guys hung around again.

Then there was an outdoor shed to store new tires in. I locked it up every night when I first came in. Friday when I came in, Joe said, I saw you lock the tire shed before I left. Some JERK cut the lock off, stole about $500.00 of tires. I said insurance pays you right. NO, they took the cut off padlock, the cop said they take it because then the Insurance Company will not pay the loss. No proof it was locked. That way the insurance company will not investigate the theft! Joe was out the money, but taught a harsh lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment