Monday, October 22, 2018

I am stupid, not an idiot?

The Loop Route clan know I was nuts about speed, and weird actions. I rode the bike even over winter.

The first year out of school I had no car. It was summer 1967, I was on my fourth lap of the loop route. My friend was the  first car sitting at a stop light. I knew he had a four speed. It was a 1967 roadrunner. No break lights were lit. That meant he was sitting with nothing stopping the car from rolling if I pushed against it.

I put my front tire against his back bumper very, very slowly. I wanted to surprise him. When I made contact with his bumper I revved my throttle to about 8 grand, and slipped the clutch so he would move front about 6 inches. He was about 1 foot from the line. I would never push anyone to a place they would get hurt. He looked back at me, and laughed.

The car behind me, the door popped open when I gave the  bike gas. He ran up and grabbed my arm. Just my LUCK! He was an off duty police officer. I learned they could arrest you any time. He yelled Hoss, we finally got you.

NO, I was an Idiot! It was 2:00PM on a Sunday afternoon.  No darkness to hide me. I paid another fine, just like the time I was arrested at McDonald's for doing wheelies on a motorcycle, both Disorderly Conduct on a motorcycle. They sure had a lot of fines.

About 1970 they started a new law on the loop route. There were signs mounted that said. More than 3 times passing this sign will be given a fine. There was times listed, I don't remember what they were. The first one fined was the son of a looper from the late fifties. Like father like son. Neither of my sons cruised, and Laura our first born hung out at Manheim Square with her friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment