Sunday, October 28, 2018

We never do anything DUMB!! ONE

Before you crossed the bridge to Willow Street there was a road to the right, right beside PPL storehouse of equipment to keep electric power going all over Lancaster County. Down the road about 2 miles was a road to the right. It went up a high hill. At the top of the hill, you started down 7 bumps, short level places so the road was not so steep. 7 BUMPS.

A lot of the kids visited the 7 bumps every week. We were on our bikes. Bob, David & I. There is no place to park, so we stopped on the second bump, put our bikes just on the grass. Bob's bike was beside David's brand new BMW 650. Bob's bike was on softer ground than David's, and mine was behind. Bob's center stand sunk in the grass and his bike leaned over toward David's BMW. We were about 20 feet away. Bob's Honda hit the front wheel of the BMW, and over they went. The grass was a small hill away from the road. It took us 3 strong guys to pull it up the hill to the road. neither bike's paint or chrome was scratched.

Bob was working on a friend's BSA. Stood for Bugger Stopped Again. Clean version, ask an old biker! Bob was trying to catch me, (Hare & Hound) and we swung down past the water works. We picked up a cop. He was coming towards me and I was going too fast. He wanted to turn around and chase me. I made the sharp left turn, Bob just came around the turn as the cruiser was in his lane. Bob swerved toward the river bank. I had no license plate on my bike.

I hurried home to get my car. The cop called me as soon as I walked in the door. he said, come back and bring your bike. I came back in the car. The officer knew he did wrong, causing Bob to run down the hill and in the water with the BSA. It weighed about 5oo pounds. Bob had pulled it upright till I got back. My house was about 3 miles away. The officer said, where was your bike. I said it would not start. He laughed and said, I BELIEVE THAT??

Bob was written  for reckless riding. For once I got no ticket. The officer called Bob's mom, she came with her neighbor and his pickup. It was our shop teacher Dean, from school. He brought a plank along. The hardest part was dragging the heavy bike up the hill. As we pushed the heavy bike up the ramp, I jumped up and got on the bike to hold it up. He had no tiedowns, I told Bob's mom, Ann to drive my car.

I put the bike's front wheel against the back of the cab and braced for a hard ride. Bob rode with Dean in the cab. Bob's mom was driving my 400 HP Pontiac. Bob and I forgot to mention to Ann about the three carbs, and as you push the gas pedal down, when you hit a hard spot, push no more. Passing the Lancaster square she hit all 3 carbs.  She laid rubber. Luckily she had a lot of room in front of my Pontiac. No real damage to the BSA, drained, oil, gas, lubed fittings, bike ran better that before.

Kathy was with me again. Five of us were going to a local Farm Show. We were wearing chains around our necks, and I had on my biker blue jean jacket. Yes, I still have it. I got 3/8 inch chain. It was about 4 inches too wide for my head. I did not want it to choke me. I did not realize 3/8 inch chain that long would weight so much after one hour of riding.

I was going too fast, surprise, and went up a small hill, with a hard left turn on to a bridge with cement walls. My right handle bar caught the wall, and my wheel was yanked against the concrete wall. Luckily I got slowed down to about 10 miles per hour before I hit the wall. No blood this time.

As often as Kathy risked her life with me, we were not romantically involved. She was under 18, and girls under 18 for me were off limits, sexually. Even above 18, I was not ready for marriage and kids not yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment