Sunday, October 7, 2018

Edith May Hess

Mom and I fought like cats and dogs for as long as I can remember. Since her death, Dick my older brother has told me a lot about her life.

She was the first born. Her dad wanted a son first. Mom was the black sheep. Her two brothers were better at everything, according to her dad. Dick was the first grandchild. He was told by Grandma Hess that her dad said, "I am not a grandfather till my sons have children". That was the feeling of most men then. The sons were more important. A lot of societies believed sons were best, too.

Mom was made fun of most of her life by her own family. She had big breasts, today an asset. Then mom's breasts were bound to make them appear smaller. She told me that when I was young. At about 12 years old, she was put to work at a hotel in town. She was the chambermaid, and lived there. Mom told me that when I was too young to understand. 

She said she had fire engine red hair. Today an asset. Then she was laughed at. Young girls were expected to keep house, not good enough for a "real" job. The farmer Grandpa worked for on the farm sold it. Grandpa worked the farm, and lived in a smaller farm house. They had to move.

Mom looked in the paper for a new place. Meanwhile, dad's father was coming home from York, about 40 miles from their Lancaster farm. Their family were farmhands also, with housing there. My grandfather, William Caldwell was returning from taking care of my great-grandfather's death. He handled everything and his son Mervin borrowed his sister's husband Harvey's Stutz Bearcat.

They had the green light at a big intersection. Harvey entered the intersection, a car ran their red light. They slammed into the convertible Stutz, pushing Grandpa and Harvey to the side of the road, into a field. The car hit a big stone wall. Grandpa flew out of the car, head first into the wall. His body did not die for three days. Daddy now was taking his place as main provider for his mother. I don't know the others' ages. They had to leave the farmhouse, someone else would work the Belmont farm. Mom showed her dad the ad for farmhand, house provided. My roots were taking shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment