Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Iron Butt Rally!

https://www.ironbutt.org/ibrfacts.htm -- This is the site for info. 11 Days, 11,000 miles!!
In summer 1966, I did 1,000 miles in 24 hours. At eighteen years old it was painful then, I know I could not do 11 days of 1,000 miles each day now. My experience writing how it was, in the soft office chair at my desk now, it seemed easy. The real experience of pain not in my memory now!?!

I got off work at 4:30PM Friday. We never plan on what we will be doing for 2 days work free. I rode my bike to the Lititz twin kiss for supper. Bob worked till 8:00 every night. He had other plans for the weekend. I was a solo to 1000 miles in 24 hours. I should have gone home and got 8 hours of sleep. But at 18 years old, nothing can hurt you?

I pulled out on route 30 when the light turned green. I was headed to the shore. 120 miles in a little less than 4 hours, at posted speeds. But, I was 18, nothing will happen. Route 30, a main drag, lots of traffic. Not many miles fast. I was counting for speed after dark when the road was less traveled.

Bikes in the 60's were not built for long distances. Rear shocks were either spongy or rock hard. The front forks the same. The saddle was long, and narrow, not much cushioning. I had not chopped my bike yet, I got my  seat covered in blue leather and lots of softer stuffing. Instead of a smooth surface it was rolled and pleated. I should have waited another 6 weeks till the do over. But, I was 18, time was flying by.

I made it to Wildwood in record time. Several bikers hooked with me on the ride down. Two others said they would do one more lap. Each lap was over 100 miles. Every gas stop we grabbed several chocolate bars, and of course Pepsi. Caffeine and chocolate kept us going. We turned around and did it again.  Almost 300 miles so far. I had no watch, and not many clocks along the roads to know what time it was. 450 miles came fast. I was half way. I did not check the time when I left. The next 100 miles were easy! You believe that??

At night I could run over 80MPH. Night time made up for the slow drivers I had to pass. My shoulders, butt, legs, back; just realize everything hurt. My left hand, the clutch lever, my right hand, the front brake lever and the throttle twister hand hurt. When I hit 1000 miles, a very heavy weight was gone from my shoulders. I was 18, I can accomplish anything. I never bothered counting up the hours. If I was over, it was a small amount!

It was daylight, route 30 near Lancaster was clogged up, I guess an accident. I took a side road, a longer way home, but I wanted sleep. Coming to Mount Joy, about 10 miles from home I relaxed. Bad move. I started leaning forward as I fell asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment