Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Vietnam Rocket Launcher Repair MAN!

Bob Quinn graduated with me June 1966 at Manheim Township High School. Manheim Township was and is now about half rich families, and half regular working class people. Bob and I were not in the rich group. Turning 16, some kids got new expensive cars. We got what we could afford. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the world owed me anything. I am proud of what Mary & I built for our kids.

Glenmoore Circle in Manheim Township is houses that were built for returning Veterans from WW2. That is where I got to know Bob. That was my paper route. Monday to Saturday I delivered evening news. Every Sunday morning the Sunday Paper. Every day rain or shine for 3 1/2 years. The newspaper took $5.00 from our money and put in a bank to get interest. My mom made me save an extra $5.00 so I had more when I gave up delivering. Going thru the Depression and WW2 made people used to doing without, and saving.

I took home about $8.00 a week on the small route I had for 2 years. I had spending money. I got the Glenmoore Circle and Fruitville Park route for 1 1/2 years. The last 6 months I used my Honda 90 to deliver papers. It saved a lot of pedaling. When there were snow and ice storms, I walked. The small route was about 3 miles. I delivered the last paper and pedaled back, took a shortcut about 2 miles. The bigger route, I was 150 feet past our house when I delivered the last paper. It taught me work ethic, never quit, and work rewards with money and satisfaction.

Bob and I were about 15 years old. Plastic pea shooters were the big rage. Winkee's Toy Fair, Mr. Winkelman's store at Lancaster Shopping Center was our solitude store. We walked a dirt road past the quarry that filled up with water  50 years ago, and the mining for lime ceased. It was about 2 miles to Winkies. We spent a lot of time there.

We all had pea shooters. Small bag of peas was $.25, the shooter $.50. Only about 25 peas. We used about 6 bags to have our fights. I complained to Mom how much we spent on peas. She said go in Food Fair, get large bag of dried peas. Maybe moms are not as stupid as we all thought! About 250 peas $.85, more like it.

I bought a bag, gave about 40 to each guy and we started the battle. Peas hitting a parked car, no damage. Store windows, no damage. But a pea in the face stung! Bob was on his bike. I was walking. The third guy I don't remember who, or if he was on foot or bike either.

After about 20 minutes, Bob was getting brave, he could speed past, hit our faces and retreat! We mostly got Bob on the back of his head, which still hurt. The Food Fair grocery store was right beside the 4 lane route 501. About 1 mile north of the elementary school. Peas were getting low, so we made each one count.

Bob was pedaling really fast, in and out of parked cars. The shopping carts were stacked up to the end of the wall of the Food Fair, with 2 lanes of parking between Food Fair and the fence for route 501, near lane heading north. A fourth guy was at the end of the carts hiding, waiting for Bob to go past. The fourth guy was putting 3 or 4 peas in at one time. Super stings.

Bob was headed toward the fourth guy, not seeing him, expecting to turn left and inside the shopping center fence. Before Bob could turn left fourth guy blew his shooter hard, peppering Bob's face. Bob never saw it coming. He turned his head toward the shooter and let loose. The shooter got it right in the face.

Bob was not looking ahead. I saw him looking back as he barreled toward the traffic. I yelled, but I doubt he heard me. He coasted down a small incline picking up speed. There was just a fence, sidewalk, and the lanes of traffic. I watched my good friend bounce off the side of a tractor trailer.
Luckily on the bike he was high enough to hit the side of the trailer and not go under the trailer's double back wheels.

I will never forget the horror I was feeling, as it was the fourth shooter's fault Bob missed the curve. BUT ; I bought the peas, and was involved in the fighting! I ran toward the truck. Fighters number 3 and 4 said, "Let's get out so they do not know we were play fighting maybe they will not be as hard on Bob". Bob was being held up by a grown up. He was alive, so we left.

Bob missed several days of school. He did not get in much trouble, I don't think anyone found out what had happened. We never talked about it either. Just glad our play fight buddy was healing. A broken shoulder was really better than being run over by trailer back wheels.

We graduated in June of 1966. A couple years later, hype going around town was the cops were trying to stop a lot of burglaries by stopping all the kids' cars and checking trunks for burglar tools. Of course all of us carried tools in the trunk. I heard Bob was stopped for a tail light out. They found a pry bar in his tool kit. He was told, enlist or get processed. His fate was sealed.

Now at 70, he has diabetes like almost all those sprayed with Agent Orange have. Marcy and I are going to help Bob publish his 3 novels and hundreds of poems so he can better enjoy his retirement! I am raising money for my non-profit to Stop PTSD Suicides in Veterans and First Responders. Bob almost died once because of how I acted. I am working hard to see that Bob and the others don't die till GOD calls them home! I know GOD is keeping me alive so I can do this. I am not 18 years old now!! I am not the adrenaline freak I was. I believe GOD protects you, if you are not risking your life stupidly.

Visit Bob's blog here and read some of his poems. You will enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment