Monday, October 8, 2018

Why Veterans and First Responders??

I could not join the Naval Reserve. I failed the draft physical. I was not good enough to fight for my country in Vietnam. Before I boarded the bus for my draft physical I had given a lot of my things away. I was sure I was not coming back. I was not good for the draft. My blood pressure was too high. Strokes and heart attacks killed most of the Caldwell family, and the Hess family, my Mom's family. Both families were heavy drinkers and smokers.

I fit right in. I was sure if I went over, I would be killed. Like the song, I would not keep my head down. I would volunteer for dangerous details. I craved danger. Vietnam was a great place for danger.

Now you know why I drove hot cars dangerously. Everyone said the way I ride cycles, they could not follow. That is why I always won the hare and hound runs. I was the hare, and the hounds could not pass me. What kept me alive? Luck? Someone looking over me? Why did so many friends die, and I lived? What does fate have in store for me? All my life, I wondered.

When I started my electric contractor business, I was drawn in to help Oasis Youth Services. Giving stopped my need for danger. I would park my service truck outside the door. The kids with piercings, hair spiked 6 inches high, jackets that looked like they lost a dog fight. The kids not with Oasis knew to stay away from my open truck. The freaks already there would make sure others did not steal anything from my truck. After all, I was a fellow freak.

I still wore my blue jean jacket from my biker days. That was 20 years ago. I tried it on last year to wear again at bike and car shows. Mary ruined it!! She washed it. Now it does not fit. It was about six inches from buttoning!! It could not be that I was fatter?? Darn you Mary.

Now you know my reasoning. Because I could not fight for my country, some poor soul took my place, and died in my place. That is why I started Lloyd's Rides for Veterans and mentally challenged people.

Last year I added First Responders. Every 24 hours, 22 tortured souls take their lives, the Veterans. Now first responders are tortured too. A new VA hospital was built out west. Billions of dollars spent, with no PTSD wing. I have no college education, I am not worldly, I don't think I know everything, but I see the stupid way some people are spending tax money terribly! Yes money I paid in for 56 years. And you, how many years have you paid in?

On my social security, money I paid in, I must pay tax on what they give me. But Mary and I this January got a big raise. Now maybe we can move to Florida and buy a big yacht!! Mary got $4.24 more a month. She worked till she was 69. I have not worked since I was 60. I got S.S. disability. I got $3.16 per month more. Then they raised our medical benefit. They take out of our check by MORE than our raise.

First responders are dying doing their jobs. Why should they have to fight PTSD by themselves?

If you can help us get exposure to get donors and Chapter builders please contact us.

No comments:

Post a Comment