Saturday, December 28, 2013

Another Lonely Saturday Night!!

Well it is another saturday night. Mary is sleeping because she works tonight.

It is funny how your priorities change with age and responsibilities. I can remember when I was between 16 and 22 years old,  how I thought my life would end if I did not make it into town to see and be seen on the Loop Route. I had a hot car with "Hoss" on a  plate on the front, so everyone knew it was me.

Everyone honked and yelled to see me again. I thought they cared, but they were just lonely like me. Looking for something. We did not know what. A place to belong and be recognized.

I spent a lot of money for gas and food trying to find a friend. I found a few that I still have 50 years later. We all need to belong, that is why there are so many clubs where lonely people hang out. We need human contact. Even animals need to be together! (At least some of them.)

Mary has worked almost every other weekend most of her life. I worked  a lot of overtime too. We wanted to provide for our kids. And we did pretty good at it. Except the 3 years I took my electric business full time. Lost a lot of money. Still paying it off. We don't believe in declaring bankruptcy.

When I worked for a potato chip company, the owner had a lot of businesses, and he had a flying service and his guys flew me around to do repairs. I thought that was great till we almost crashed because of the freezing rain on the wings. I said I took a lot of chances over my lifetime. Glad HE was looking over me all the time.

My wife is getting supper ready now, heating up leftover Christmas dinner. It is 7:30 PM. She leaves for work at 9:00. We do not get to eat a lot of meals together quietly, so this is special.

When we have the kids over it is usually hectic. I took the kids home at 3:30 tonight. My wife just got up. It was 58 degrees and I saw three motorcycles out crusing around. I could not afford to pay my cycle insurance in November so I let it lapse. Will pick it up again in spring. Can't go too long without my two-wheeled fix. It has been my fix for close to 50 years. Everyone needs something. Its just that most of mine are dangerous. I told you I am an adrenaline junkie! Unfortunately it is passed on to offspring, somewhere down the line.

It is going down to 28 degrees tonight, and freezing rain expected. Set my alarm for 5:00 AM so I can check the suicide driveway, so Mary can get up the hill into the garage. She keeps a set of spikes for her shoes in the van. She said one night the other week she was glad she had them. Really icy at work. I like to be prepared for anything. It has saved us a couple of times when we had what we needed for an emergency.

Right before Christmas, a friend's wife was getting the mail across the street and was hit and killed after dark. The 22 year old girl did not see her and hit her full force. The speed limit there is 55 so there was no chance for survival. She was 64 years old. She and her husband were getting ready to go to Florida for the rest of  the winter.

Remember to be careful, and tell the ones you love, so they know what you feel. You never know when your time comes. Like I said, I told my dad I loved him about a week before he had the last stroke that took his life. I was so glad I verbalized my feelings. It still hurt to lose my father, but it felt better that I let him know how I felt.

I am alone tonight, but I am not lonely anymore. I know I have a family that loves me. There is no better feeling in the world than that. I have a lot of friends who have a great business and money in the bank, but they gave up their family to get it done. I don't have a lot of money or prestige of a thriving business, but I have family. To me the family is more important. It took me a long time to realize that too.

Never thought I could think this deep. Marcy you know how to push the right buttons in me to help me. And Donna and Rob, you know how to make me appreciate what I have. The three of you are good friends. And Rob is right, 2014 is going to be a great year. I can feel it!

No comments:

Post a Comment