Monday, December 23, 2013

Old Friends - Part Three (Another Popeye Story)

Well Bob is another thing entirely. When we get together something magical happens. Unfortunately it is usually something that gets us in trouble, or one of us hurt. Usually me!! 

I met Bob at the field of the group we joined called the Flying Dutchman. That was for anyone who flew U-control model air planes. You had two 52 foot control wires hooked to the airplane to make it go up and down. We flew in a circle, so you had to learn not to get dizzy spinning in circles!

There was a main road out in front of the field, so we got a lot of people stopping and watching us fly. The motors ran on fuel mixed with oil. We made our own fuel. Still being in school, we did not have much money. I did not earn that much on my paper route. When we had a few bucks we bought a can of Missile Mist, which made the engine run a lot faster. 

We slowly got away from flying when we got our licenses to drive, and found girls! That was a whole new problem! We had to spend our money on gas and places to take the girls. A new pastime.

I got a car when I quit my paper route. They made us save money each week from the paper route so I had over 900 dollars saved in my 3-1/2 years of having my first home business, peddling papers. It helped teach me the work ethnic. I drove my car for about a year and a half. I had sold my Honda 90 and graduated up to four wheels. For a while.

In my senior year of school I was not concentrating on what was happening outside the window of my car, ran a stop sign and hit a bread truck. Demolished my car. Since it was my second accident (I had smashed up my dad's car earlier), my insurance was dropped. I was a walker again.

When I got the insurance money I pestered my parents for a bigger cycle. Since my dad was a pushover for my begging, I got a Honda Super Hawk. Boy that name impressed me. It was a 305cc, about 30 horsepower. But to me it was freedom again!

I had four more months til graduation. They went by. I don't remember much as I was in my prime again, on two wheels again. When we graduated I remember thinking my whole life was ahead of me. Boy, where did those years go?

By now Bob and I were good friends. He worked at the Honda shop, and picked the main technician's brain to find out how to make my cycle faster. We did all the changes Ken told Bob about. Soon I had the fastest bike around. And you know me, I tested it every chance I got. I was known for lightning speed riding, and wheelies. On my 90 I could do a wheelie for a whole block. With the bigger bike, I could go even further. It was all balance, not power.

We went to the shore on the bikes whenever we could. Bob had a slightly smaller bike than mine. But his was fast too. We rode a lot that first summer. I was putting 10,000 miles on my bike every six months. And they were hard miles. That first summer I lost my license for 15 days because of the accident. So I tore my new bike down and molded and sanded the frame. I painted it Corvette blue, and had the only custom smaller bike around. Except for the diehard chopper guys. They had more money to play with than me.

A motor during the break in period will run how you break it in. I ran my" Quarter Hawg" as I called it to the maximum RPM as was recommended. It was a good running stock bike. Because the bike had no oil filter I changed the oil every 500 miles. When we modified it slightly, it was a great running bike.

I raced from stop light to stop light. The short distance was made for a high revving, very low geared, lightweight vehicle. I beat everyone I raced. The word got around soon, and no one would race me if they knew me. The same thing happened with my race car, but that is another story. I also practiced launching the bike with the throttle almost wide open. I was ready to take on all comers. My manic stage was running wide open. I was invincible. 

I started losing friends to accidents. Some jerk ran a red light and hit my friend on his cycle, who was launched over the hood, and slid under a parked car. His head did not fit between the car's frame and the road. But not me, I was invincible. You guys know what I mean when you are a 19 year old guy nothing can hurt you. The other friends I lost were killed in car accidents. You know the headlines in the paper. "Local youth fails to negotiate curve."

Well, that is how my adventure called my life of motorized vehicles started. I know I am an adrenaline junkie. It is a problem far worse than booze, nicotine or drugs. For it is always with you and gets you higher than anything you can put in your body. I have learned to control it somewhat! LOL Like I say it is always there, and I miss the highs from it. I have substituted the love and companionship of a good woman, family, and a good life. But it is always there in the back of your mind, haunting you to get high again. Like hard drugs, it can take your life in an instant. 

Again, I hope this helps other adrenaline junkies to see you can survive anything if you put your mind to fight the urge to take a chance with your life. WE will SURVIVE this thing called the living years, at least for a while longer! Do not give up, but like me learn when to run so you can fight another day.

Yes, I still have a motorcycle. When I cannot hold it up to ride, I will get a sidecar. I refuse to give in and not fight to keep my life the way I want it. Stick to your principles, and make a stand for your rights. Yes, I am an old fart, but I am learning new tricks.

This old dog is not going to give in till my body just tells me it cannot go on any more. Then I will accept the fact I must meet my Maker. Watch out HEAVEN, I may organize the daredevils there into an act to get that feeling of belonging again. YIP YIP. Rob says I should say yip yip instead of bow wow, because I am more like a puppy than an old dog.

Thank you Lord for giving me my share of the living years. Help me to inspire others to get the most out of their living years. Then I will be ready to meet you. I know now we are really not invincible, just some of us are luckier than most. Also Lord thank you for giving me wisdom to finally find out what you have given me is really precious, even though it took me most of the living years to figure that out!

Thank you for putting up with my rambling. I hope I have inspired you to be thankful for what you have been given. Help others, and your life will be so much better. Mine is.

If you want to send a reply, you can comment below.

Write a blog so your learning curve can inspire future generations. We all need help and encouragement sometimes. I know I sure do!

No comments:

Post a Comment