Monday, December 30, 2013

Motorcycles Kill, but So Do Cars and Trucks!!

Anything with wheels and an idiot operating it can kill! I lost five friends when I was single and running around. Only one was killed on a motorcycle. The other four died in car accidents.

How we live and die is something that is not always decided by us. Usually we decide how we can live. Sometimes others help us decide, and it is not always good for us. I have been very lucky in my living years to always come out on top. Not all the so called "accidents" were my doing. I have lamented on a lot of them in other articles on this blog.

We will meet our Maker when it is our time. Some of us just like to try and rush it. We adrenaline junkies take chances because we like the high adrenaline gives us. It is better than any drug you can put in your body, with no after effects. (Just the chances we take to get it!)

My oldest boy and I get the hunger for the rush from my Dad. I told you about his adventures racing the train to the crossing in his model T. He used to tell me about driving on the ice on the ponds to see if they could make it across without falling in. [O.K. I took out the trash and got the mail in, now I can finish writing about my philosophy of life.]

My dad also told me after my first time laying down the bike, "It is 'when', not 'if' you lay down a bike. Bikers know this fact for sure. He was coming home from his machinist job in Virginia. It was late Friday night. He was doing about 70 miles per hour, wanting to get home in a hurry because it was cold.

As he rounded a curve on the old Lincoln Highway in York, Pennsylvania, a pig ran across the highway and he hit it, and flipped himself and the Indian motorcycle. When he slid to a stop, and checked what was working and what was broken (which was his leg), he looked through the darkness to see the pig get up and run away. He said that what made him the most mad was that the pig could still run away, and he could not even get up.

Now you see a little of what makes us up. No wonder the shrink I had to see when I got my stomach stapled said I have a strange sense of humor. It runs in the family. 

Yes a lot in this life can take the living years away from you if you are not careful. That is why we should enjoy the time we have and treat everyone like we want to be treated. That is why my wife and I help people when they need it. Later I will tell you about all the people we took in over the years that needed a temporary home. It feels good to help someone who is down and almost out.

No comments:

Post a Comment