Saturday, December 14, 2013

Carry on Through Pain

Just  took grandpuppy out to do her business in the snow. She is a miniature Yorky, about 1/3 the size of our cats. Did not go, probably use the carpet again.

My wife just changed my dressing from my lost battle with gravity six days ago. Because I have a gash about six inches long and 1/4 inch wide, every time we pull the dressing off it pains me, even though she puts cleaner to soften the scab that sticks to the gauze. Just glad the gash is not much larger. I am glad they do not use tape to hold the patch, but wrap with gauze.

When I was thirteen, I was cleaning a chicken house and stepped back into the trap door to push crap down from the fourth floor to the first floor to be scooped up. Luckily I hit the edge of third floor and did not go any further. Doctor taped my whole back. It was itchy, and pinched a lot, but the best part was when he grabbed the corner and ripped it off. He put six casts on my back and I think he enjoyed every time he yanked them off.

Like I said before I spent a lot of time in my life getting patched up and healing. I think that is why I wanted to marry a nurse. When you spend a lot of times waking up from an incident and you see a women in white taking care of you it makes an impression. I was in my best friend's wedding. Jim married Donna from Baltimore. She had gone to Reading Hospital nursing school. They met thru Ed and Ruthie's wedding.

I stopped over to see Donna Saturday nights when Jim was playing in a group. I figured if Donna trusted me and thought I was a nice guy, she would fix me up with one of her nurse friends.Well it worked. I met Mary at Jim and Donna's wedding. Of course I got drunk and wandered off from the party.They were out searching for me. Even checked the neighbor's pool.

I had the keys to our hotel room, so I went to the front door of a house, told the guy I was in a wedding party and lost. He called a cab for me. Luckily the hotel address was on the key. I was standing out front waiting for the cab, when a car went past and I heard the tires squeal from them hitting the brakes. It was the guys looking for me. The good Lord pulled my bacon out of the fire one more time.

The Lord has watched over me all my life. As a youngster I got croup a lot and was in the hospital. One time I was in the oxygen tent, could not breath by myself and the oxygen ran out. My dad was sleeping in a chair. Someone woke him up and he alerted the nurses I was not breathing right. My Dad was visited by my guardian angel. One of many times I was helped out of a jam.

I found a way to alleviate some of my pain in my writing. Knowing my following generations learn a little bit of our history makes me feel satisfied. I also like the comments I get from strangers that reading about my faults and stupid actions helps them in their lives.

To  the fellow who said "I can relate with your adventures and hang in there brother", thank you. It makes it easier to be up at 3:30 in the morning getting all this off my chest. Wait till I start telling you my adventures about Bob and our adventures on the motorcycle.

I have thought about writing about my exploits for years. It wasn't till Thanksgiving vacation that Bob from Virginia visited and told me he is getting his second novel published, I thought I could write too. Bob and I went to the same school. We have been friends for about 59 years.

I still remember like it was yesterday when we were 12 years old and having a pea shooter battle. Bob rode away from us on his bike, turned back with his head and was shooting us with his pea shooter and rode into the side of a tractor trailed on the main road. Some of my friends were as wild as I was. All Bob did was break his shoulder. He was being watched over too. He had a bad car accident at 17 too. And he was watched over in Vietnam. I am far from the only one who is blessed.

Well thank you for putting up with my rambling. I hope it strikes a chord in you to be positive. Never give in, but learn when to run so you can fight another day. It took me a long time to learn that last part. [Yes, my saying is….The difficult we will do immediately; the impossible will take a little longer.]

I messed up typing the end again. That is why Marcy checks what I write in the Blog. I am good at putting down my thoughts, just not too good in grammar yet. This old dog needs to learn a few more new tricks yet.   ….Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment