Thursday, February 6, 2014

Damsel leaves Old Knight with rusting armor!!

Yes Mary is gone, She just left and I miss her already! I don't like being left alone! No we are not splitting up. She went to visit her sister Shirley who lost her husband two weeks ago. They were together 55 years. Mary is staying overnight because it takes an hour to get there. It is in Lenhartsville PA. Near Hamburg PA. I will write about the weird PA names later. I am glad Mary has a chance to unwind and visit with family. She needs the getaway from us. The grandkids are coming over tomorrow night. We will have our hands full with all three of them. We love when they come over, and we love the next day when they leave. We spoil them rotten, and then send them home to mom and dad! You people with grandkids know what I mean.

Yes I am leading a bachelor life for 24 hours. Parties,wild woman and all. Yea like that would  happen! I am doing my computer business, getting some supper and watching T.V. I want to see Jay Leno for his last show tonight if I can stay awake. Must rest up tonight to keep after the little bullheaded grandson tomorrow. And keep his sisters from fighting too much. So I probably won't be able to use my computer much while they are here. One of the things I must put up with for being a grandpa that spoils them rotten.

Yes there are some funny names of places in this part of Pennsylvania. Up near Hamburg is Virginville. In Lancaster county is Bird in Hand, Paradise, Blue Ball and of course Intercourse. Strange names for a people who settled here for religious freedom. We get lots of visitors to see the plain people, Amish and mennonites. And to send postcard home with the weird post office stamps. You can send someone a card home postmarked from Intercourse. People come here to get horse and buggy rides. They like the locals who say, there goes a horse with a buggy behind. Yes we live in a strange place some would say. But being here all my life it does not seem strange to me. I am sure there are a lot of places in our great country that seem strange if you were not brought up there and are used to it.

I will leave you to ponder this chapter, and maybe want to visit Lancaster County. See the movie Witness with Harrison Ford. It tells a little about our fine county. Come and visit, you will learn a lot about our customs, and the people who live a different lifestyle. The amish with no electric, but now they have phones out in a small booth away from the house. And John who did all the work on the outside of our house who is Amish, does not drive but owns several trucks for his roofing and remodeling business. He and his brother dress plain, like the amish in the shows.  They ride manual scooters, but then he has a cell phone and computer for his business. Sorta like the old, and new merging to run a business. Because land for farming is disappearing, the plain people must adapt to make a living. I know they are doing a good job at making their place in the working world. You do not see any poor plain people. They are a working people. They make their place in life.







No comments:

Post a Comment