Monday, March 10, 2014

ME TOO! ME TOO! Yea Right!

I was never one to do what everyone else does. I have to be different. I don't dress in the latest fads, or even drive the same car as everyone else. This is a picture of my second motorcycle I purchased in my senior year of high school. The black frame with grey fenders was the only color the super hawk came in in 1966. The second picture is my "Quarter Hawg." It was in to name your cycle then. After I had it six months and had over 10,000 miles on it I lost my license for fifteen days and stripped the frame and back fender and tank and painted it corvette blue, and installed the chromed front shortie fender. I took the Honda emblems off the gas tank and installed Maltese cross emblems in their place. That was the first year so I had the megaphones on the exhaust because they were free flowing and when enriching the carbs I got a lot more power. Also it made a lot more noise. Thats a male thing too.  I got the megs because I was rear ended by another cycle and it bent the one muffler, so it was a good excuse to get better mufflers for looks and performance. When I sold the bike  two years later I had over 40,000 miles on the bike. Of course we turned the odometer back 10,000 miles. Now you get arrested for doing that. Yes they had just started inspection, but you did not need motorcycle license either back then. When you bought a bike they said the gas is here, the shift here and the brake here, and good luck. You were on your own to learn how to ride.

 I even customized my cars so I would be different. When anyone saw my vehicles they knew it was mine. I wore bluejeans and t-shirts before it was the in thing. I used to ride all winter in a blue jean jacket and sweat shirt. When you are young you have good circulation. I did not get a car till I was out of school a year and a half.

Dave laying on BMW in 1968. Dave liked to be different too.
Not many guys on BMW's back then!


My stock super hawk in spring 1966


Dave on BMW  1966


My Corvette blue "Quarter Hawg"with blue leather seat, and chrome shorty front fender.
In fall of 1966. One of the few customized bikes in Lancaster at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment