Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The longest I have owned one cycle!

I bought my 650 Honda in 1982. It was a present to myself when we sold a building lot we had for an investment. I put 25,000 mies on it by the time I had it 25 years. With a family I could not ride a lot. For a couple years I did not ride it at all. I kept it for a reason at the time I know not why. I just did not want to sell it. Then Jeff our younger boy asked if he could get his cycle license and ride the bike. I said sure as long as he took the riders course and always wore a helmet. So started his new adventure, I had no idea would take him so far. He got his license and I told him a few pointers I learned over the years. Like ride as if everyone is out to get you. And watch loose stones at intersections from the winter salting. When it rains be careful till the water washes away the oil and gas on the road. Things like that my Dad told me. My Dad rode, and his Dad rode, so Jeff was a fourth generation Biker! I told his better half that, and she remarked that makes her one too. LOL

Before Jeff met Heather he made three trips on the cycle. Twice down to Mississippi and Louisiana. The one trip he volunteered to clean the flooding mess after the levi broke. He stayed in a hotel that had the high water mark at 29 feet. I did not know the water was that high. And one trip down to the pan handle of Florida. Jeff was taking the trips I never got to make. Mary and I started a family soon after we were married and could not take long trips on the cycle till a couple years ago when our family was grown.

Jeff now takes Heather cycling when he is home. She had never ridden before and fell in love with it right away. It is something about seeing more, smelling all the roadside smells. Being free not like in a cage.Experiencing nature to the fullest. Sure there are dangers, but there is in everything we do. You can't be afraid to take a chance now and then. It is a calculated risk and you must be careful. 

When I sold the 650 in 2012, I had it thirty years. Jeff was riding the Nomad that he was unsure of before. Yes it is 800 pounds but it is all balance. Once you are moving it is easy to balance. My nine hundred Honda was easy to ride too. For a couple months when I bought the Nomad, I had three cycles. The garage was full.
 The Honda that's been in more states than I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment