Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Mother Got Me Again!!

The pipes for the washing machine in the room leading to the garage are frozen again. It happened several years ago when it was this cold. I have a portable heater propped above the washing machine, blowing down the wall where I cut the drywall out years ago to get more heat to the pipes. Just checked the heater, and the plastic housing in the wall that houses the spigots was melted and curled up. Should have checked it sooner. It is not that bad, but must keep a closer eye on it.

Really like this frigid weather. Went to gym this morning and drove my other van that is parked outside. Try to run it every couple days, this kind of weather. It was about 10 degrees inside. Takes a couple miles to start throwing heat. I just shiver and say, "Common heat", like a fool!

We were going to my daughters about 10 miles away to watch the three year old grandson so my daughter can go to doctor for checkup. Will bring Kyler along to stay overnight. Like to have the kids over, just not too long at a time. They wear us out. Grandchildren were made for grandparents to spoil rotten, then send home for parents to put up with again!

Mary will have to go by herself, so I can finish defrosting the pipe. Need to wash a lot of clothes. Had I known the pipes were going to be inside the back wall, I would have had the plumber move them on the outside of the wall behind washer. Well, you live and learn. Thirty years, and this is only the second time this happened, so not so bad. Like a well educated man told me years ago, "I can't think of everything". Before we left, Mary tried the washer, and the pipe was open again. Well Mother Nature, you threw me a curve again, and again I beat you back. Sometimes I win!! So I went along to watch Kyler and bring him home.

Well strike another blow for not thinking ahead. I have tried to think ahead most of my life. I have done pretty well at it. Not that many bad decisions in my life! I am a worry-wart like I said before. It has served me well over the years. Most times we had an emergency, I had taken along what I needed to solve a problem.

I bought smoke alarms and fire extinguishers when we built the house. I ran electric out to my mailbox pole so I could put a light on it where the number was. I put an electric eye circuit throughout the house to turn the lights on at night. I even put a light in the skylight above the steps that comes on at night and illuminates the living room so when you come home at night, when you open the door you can see enough to get in safely. I even have lights in the garage so when you get home after dark you can see to walk in the house. I'm prepared for everything, I think! Well so far I have not found too many things that I did wrong. A few things I would do different, if I could do my life over again.

Hindsight is always 100%. You can be smarter when you analyze your life. You say, "I would do this or that differently". The one thing I would not change in my life was hooking up with Mary, and having my family. I have a lot of friends that have a business or fancy jobs and lots of money, but did not have time to have a family! To me, family is more important!

No comments:

Post a Comment